Friday, November 6, 2009

Wealth and Wellness are intertwined



The big debate in America right now is health care reform. As a Registered Nurse with over 20 years experience in the acute care setting of a hospital, I can say with authority that "health care" is really nothing more than sick care. My experience has shown that we spend all of of resources treating disease and sickness and very little time or effort trying to prevent them.

I would like to use this article to explain my belief that being proactive in making wellness choices now can not only make you feel better today, but improve your future as well. Wellness is not just about your physical health. It also can be applied to your mental/emotional health, as well as your financial well being.

First lets talk for a moment about your physical health. No matter what point in your life you are, you can take simple steps today that can lead to an improvement in your overall health. Something as simple as parking your car far from the store entrance, taking the stairs instead of the elevator, or even drinking a glass of water instead of that 2nd cup of coffee. By improving your physical health, you eliminate much of the emotional stress that comes from just feeling lousy. It also impacts your financial health by decreasing missed days work, doctors visits, need for medication etc. There is simply no separating one from another.

How can improving your emotional/mental wellness affect you physically and financially? We all know someone who suffers physical symptoms generated from the emotional stress they feel. Headaches and ulcers are 2 common ailments seen in people suffering a great deal of stress. Finding ways to deal with emotional stress effectively can have a huge impact on your physical wellness. Everyone must find there own stress management techniques. For me, it is a massage, listening to music, or just going for a walk. It is proven that regular exercise improves mental clarity, reduces stress, in addition to the physical benefits.
How is your physical and mental health affected by your financial health? Very simply, poor financial health creates as much emotional stress as anything. For example, what is the number one thing couples fight about? Money! What is often a source of contention between kids and parents? Money! Money or the lack thereof causes more arguments which lead to emotional stress, which lead to physical manifestations. Often people suffer physical symptoms from depression which is an emotional illness.

I would like to close with the idea that focusing on personal wellness in all aspects of your life can have great benefits. Get your financial house in order. Take a long hard honest look at your spending habits. We all have areas we can honestly call leaks in our budget. Unnecessary expenses. Robert Kiyosaki in his book Rich Dad calls them Doodads. We all have them, we just need to be brutally honest with ourselves to identify and cut back on them . Identify your assets and liabilities, make an effort to reduce your debt and control your spending. It isn't always fun but the rewards are many.


I would like to tell you that making the choice for wellness is the best one I've ever made. The first step is finding your why. Why do you want to make a change? Mine is freedom. One of the ways I have chosen to pursue wellness is to look for a home based business to enable me to reduce the hours spent away from my family while increasing my personal wellness in all areas. My physical wellness is better as I eat better, exercise more and take supplements that help my body be the best it can be. My emotional wellness is better as I have less work stress,as I am now involved in the wellness business and moving away from the sick care business. I get great joy in helping others pursue these same goals. By making the hard choices in my financial life, I am out of debt and able to invest in building a business to help myself and others like me achieve a lifetime of wellness.

No comments:

Post a Comment